Thursday, October 2, 2008

I love my bike!!!!

Hi everyone! These last few days at my university has been crazy and sooo different. On Oct. 1st my professor picked me up from the hotel and drove me to Aobayama campus (one of the five) which literally means 'up a hill/mountain'. Thats where all the engineering classes take place and It takes 20 mins just to climb up there because its too steep to ride a bike. Also Aobayama is 25 mins away from by dorm by bike. So I will have a loooong trip every day. Anyways I got to see the lab I will be working in and its really cool. I also got to meet the other students working for my professor. There's 15 total and they are really funny. After that my professor drove me back to Sendai Station to meet up with all the international students that were coming in. That was hectic because our meeting place was taken over by this weird game show. lol

So the MORI group (they help international students) drove us to the dorms and we had to fill out sooo many forms! After that I finally got to see my dorm and its amazing. Its only a year old and so high tech! The toilet has so many buttons on it and I'm kind of afraid to try them out! The dorms are arranged cluster-style so there's eight single rooms and we share this big kitchen/living area and bathroom.

The next day (Oct.2) The Mori Group took all the international students to Aboa-ward (alien registration), the insurance building, and bank to fill out many more forms. After that they took us out to a Japanese-styled restaurant. Very nice. We also went to a 100 yen store and that was incredible! It was five stories high and had everything you could ever imagine just for $1!!!!

Later in the day my friend Marti and I took a train from Sendai station to the north part of Sendai to find used bicycles. It was kind of weird because it was kind of in the slums and people would drive past and take pictures. Anyways we finally found some bikes (only $68!) and I think they are way better then American bikes . They are really easy to use and the wheels are much larger. Bikes in Sendai is a necessary. Due to traffic and small roads buses take way too long. Everyone and I mean everyone has a bike.

Later that night a bunch of the international kids and I rode our bikes from our dorms to downtown. Sendai is a really cool city because there's main streets that are really modern but go down a side street or other sections of the city and it's very traditional japan with temples and other cool things. We ate at a pizza place and the pizza is really soft, there's hardly any crust.

So the next day (Oct. 3) I went exploring the city with a few friends and we got lost so many times. lol We finally made it to the Kawachi campus and got even more lost there. It's hard when everything is in Kanji. Kawachi is right at the foot of Aobayama campus so after we were done exploring Kawachi we decided to be brave and climb up to Aobayama. Well long story short- it sucked. I can't believe I have to do it everyday. There must have been a 1,000 stairs. It was very pretty but really hard. After we were done with Aobayama we went downtown for a while and checked out more weird electronic stores. I was the only one with a bike so everyone took a bus (bikes aren't allowed in buses) back to the dorms. At that time it was very dark and I had no idea how to find my way home (it's about a 30min ride) so I called my Japanese friend I met the night before and he picked me up. Thank god because there was no way I could have ever found my dorm.

Overall everything is amazing!



Sorry for such a long post! I will make it shorter next time! Bye!


<---Picture of Sendai from my balcony

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sam,
Sounds like you are having the time of your life. Please keep posting as we love to hear all the great details. I don't like hearing you were by yourself in the city and at night. Not good - remember to be safe.

Love Ya,
Mom

The Hollands said...

WOW Sam - I am so PROUD of and you and just think it is great you are pursuing this dream and goal. I love your blog and will be sure to read it often. Love the pictures too (not so sure I would like the hike you have to take just to get to class - wow, what great shape you will be in!) CONGRATULATIONS on this step in your college life - the Holland family will be praying for you in our nightly prayers.

Anonymous said...

sounds like yer having an amazing time sammy. im jealous. i want to go to japan!! id feel too tall and out of place tho i think lol. hope you enjoy being there. im going to miss you when it comes time for xma @ grandmas =[
--Ashley

Anonymous said...

Does it feel like your tall? I wish i can visit you soon (but Mom said no). :-[ Anyways seems like your having a great time! If I do visit you hopefully I visit you later so you know where your going and where everthing is! Bye!

From Your Favorite Sister,
Becky

Kelsey said...

Hey! That's a lot of stairs... wow!

Anonymous said...

good luck with all those stairs!!

Unknown said...

This blog makes an excellent journal, Sam. What a beautiful way to capture your time there. You are going to be in such great shape with all of that biking!

Love ya,
Aunt Janet

Unknown said...

Your blog is an excellent way to keep a journal of your time in Japan. I love that. You're also going to be in great shape with all of that biking. I'm not crazy about all those stairs, either.

Sparkle away, Sam.

Love you,
Aunt Janet

Anonymous said...

Hey, Sam
I finally got connected to your blog! This is so cool and I love your theme song. I really envy you and what your doing with and in your life right now, but since I'm an old lady I still have to tell you to be safe and use that extraordinary brain that God gifted to you, but I know you will. Keep logging onto Girlsfightback, K?
Love you, kiddo!
Aunt Cindy

Anonymous said...

Hey Sam,

This is a great way to keep in touch with you, love to read your adventures,,,keep posting so we can experience Japan also. I would love to do those stairs everyday!

Love You,

Aunt Margaret

p.s. I wrote a few times before but it wasn't published for some reason..