Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I'm Sorry!!!!!!!!

Ok guys I know I have been horrible about blogging but I promise to make it up to you!!! :) I will try to keep this post short but there's soo much I have to tell everyone! So here's what I been up to:

October 10: I went to karaoke for the first time. Karaoke in Japan is crazy!!! The place I went was 6 stories high! In japan you don't sing in an open place such as a bar, instead you get a private room for you and your friends with a huge TV and microphones. The room also had couches to sit on and a phone to call the waiters for food and alcohol. 900 yen for 6 hours! Lots of fun. :)

October 11: The Mori group threw another Welcome Party for the international students. Lots of good food. Later that night the American international students taught everyone drinking games. lol

October 12: I went to Yamadera!!!!! Yamadera is this famous shrine in Japan, thats located about an hour from Sendai by train. We got off a stop early and walked 8 km through a beautiful forest with amazing waterfalls. By the time we got to the Shrine we were exhausted and the Shrine had 1,105 stairs to climb!!! :) We also ate a soba (noddles) restaurant very good.

October 13: Happy Sport Day/Health Day holiday in Japan! I didn't have school so I ate Kaiten sushi at 100 yen a plate!! Sooo cheap. Kaiten sushi is conveyor belt sushi. They also had touch screen computers to use if you can't find a sushi you like and the sushi gets delivered to you by train! After that I went to a museum with rock formations.

October 15: My Japanese Culture Class went on a field trip to Sendai Castle, also know as Aoba Castle, where the famous Date Masamun (a Japanese samurai) lived.

October 16: Kazu and I went to this store called the loft. Its located right next to Sendai Station and its amazing. 10 stories of anything you would like or imagine!!! I also got to get udon noddles for the first time.

October 17 & 18: More welcome parties and eating a lot of food! lol :) Also I went to an Imoni festival, where you go down by the river and cook food over fire. Sooo tasty.

October 19: My Japanese Culture class went on another field trip. Yay! We traveled about 40 mins. outside of Sendai and went to an apple orchard and had fuji apples. So good!!! After that we went to a jr. high school to watch Miyagi prefecture traditional dance routines. The costumes were really cool. I can't imagine my jr. high having such fantastic costumes. Once that was over we went to Mt. Izumi to go hiking. We had to take a ski lift just to reach the top! The view was beautiful but I feel like I'm hiking all the time! On the mountain was this old farmhouse were we learned about the life of a Japanese Farmer 200 years ago.

October 20-23: Regular school life and hanging out with friends. :)

October 24: I went to a dance club called Shaft! It was Halloween themed so people were wearing costumes. The club was kind of funny because no one really dances. They just kind of stand there and nod their heads, which was fine for me because I cant dance. lol The club also played American music the whole time.

October 25: This was a really cool day. My friends and I went to a guten restaurant. Guten is cow tongue and is very famous in Sendai. It was actually really good! Mom and dad when you visit me we are going there! After eating we went shopping for Halloween costumes and we also found this outside market thats crazy. I found a pumpkin (small though) there! Pumpkins are impossible to find in Japan so I was very happy!

October 26: International Food Festival. Music and food from around the world. Very fun, very full. lol :)

October 28: My Dynamics class went on a field trip to a forest were we looked at rocks and shells.

October 29: Another field trip. omg! lol My Japanese culture class went to Sendai Museum. Very interesting! Later I explored Sendai more. :)

Anyways life in Sendai is crazy! The city is amazing and there is always so much to do! It's sooooo different from an American city. My classes are really easy. There's no homework, quizzes, or exams! Just have to go to lecture and listen. The only hard class I have is Japanese and thats really faced-paced so I have to study a lot for that class. After class I go to my research lab for a couple of hours and work on my experiment and hang out with my Japanese lab mates.

So as many as you know I have a Japanese boyfriend, who is amazing. lol

This weekend, all the international kids are throwing a Halloween party!!! Halloween in Japan is not popular at all. Most Japanese don't know what day it is! lol Right after the Halloween party I'm going to Tokyo till Monday so I will write about it in a couple of days!!!!! Miss everyone!!!!!!!!



2 comments:

Grandma said...

Hi Samantha, It really sounds as though its all fun and no work. I am so glad that you are enjoying yourself and learning so much. I havent heard anything yet about the Meumann Center. Have you looked into it? I know that you would really like it. Uncle John did. We are going to Uncle John's and Aunt Judy's for Thanksgiving. We haven't seen then in a long time. Keep in touch, hon. I really enjoy reading about everything that you are doing. Love Grandma, Grandpa

Anonymous said...

Looks like you've been crazy busy, but been having a wicked amount of fun!

We miss you here!!